History of the Porkies
On October 18, 1940, the Porcupine Mountain Ski Club began clearing the first ski run on Weather Horn Peak. They were assisted by many volunteers and the U.S. Forest Service. Work was completed by January 11, 1941 that included a 1,100 foot tow rope and warming shelters. The ski hill was abandoned during World War II but was reopened by the state in December of 1949. In 1950 the ski hill was officially dedicated as “ Porcupine Mountains State Park Ski Area”.
Throughout the years the ski hill expanded and improved. In 2012, Gogebic Community College agreed to operate the downhill skill facility in partnership with the Michigan Department of Natural Resources. Gogebic Community College’s Ski Hill Management Program headed by Jim VanDerspoel has allowed the ski hill to provide great skiing for skiers of all levels.
Credit: The Last Porcupine Mountains Companion- The Story of Michigan’s Porcupine Mountains Wilderness State Park. Authors- Michael Rafferty & Robert Sprague